6.22.2009

Frustrating Weekend

Frustrating Weekend

I was at Patients First last saturday. I was refered by a friend to a good OB-Gyne there to have myself checked because it's been 4 months since my last period. (this has been happening since the start of my menstruation days.) I had spotting last week for a day then it stopped. I was at the clinic for 4 hours. Having them check on my ovaries and all.

I was diagnosed to have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). I have cyst on both ovaries (actually it's some kind of eggs not going out of my ovary which takes up space to be used so my eggs don't mature). I was shocked at first but then i said, damn, so what?! right? I was thinking this way until the doctor prescribed me metformin which i have to take for a year! What?! that serious?! I was devastated. Doc said PCOS will decrease my chances of getting pregnant. Also, she told me I have to be cured by the meds i was prescribed with in a year or i have to conceive. duh?! Im only 21 now. Im not yet ready to have a baby. The hell!

I am checking on PCOS information online today only to find out that I have no reason to fret at all. Yes, im sick but it can be treated. PCOS is more of endocrine problem than reproductive. It has something to do with my insulin level. (my body repels insulin accdg to the doctor and so i was to take metformin which is my dad's med for diabetes). It's really good to be informed of the things you are experiencing. Thanks to the net!


The symptoms of PCOS include, but are not limited to the following:

* irregular or no menstrual periods
* acne
* obesity/weight gain/inability to lose weight - now i know why im fat :(
* breathing problems while sleeping
* depression
* oily skin
* infertility
* skin discolorations
* high cholesterol levels
* elevated blood pressure
* excess or abnormal hair growth and distribution
* pain in the lower abdomen and pelvis
* multiple ovarian cysts
* skin tags

Q: What causes polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)?
A: The cause of PCOS is unknown. Most researchers think that more than one factor could play a role in developing PCOS. Genes are thought to be one factor. Women with PCOS tend to have a mother or sister with PCOS. Researchers also think insulin could be linked to PCOS. Insulin is a hormone
that controls the change of sugar, starches, and other food into energy for the body to use or store. For many women with PCOS, their bodies have problems using insulin so that too much insulin is in the body. Excess insulin appears to increase production of androgen. This hormone is made in fat cells, the ovaries, and the adrenal
gland. Levels of androgen that are higher than normal can lead to acne, excessive hair growth, weight gain, and problems with ovulation.

Q: Does polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) put women at risk for other health problems?
A: Women with PCOS have greater chances of developing several serious, life-threatening diseases, including type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease (CVD), and cancer. Recent studies found that:
● More than 50 percent of women with PCOS will have diabetes or pre-diabetes (impaired glucose tolerance)
before the age of 40.
● Women with PCOS have a four to seven times higher risk of heart attack than women of the same age without PCOS.
● Women with PCOS are at greater risk of having high blood pressure.
● Women with PCOS have high levels
of LDL (bad) cholesterol and low levels of HDL (good) cholesterol.


0 comments: